How to choose the best rooftop solar system for your home
Firstly, if you¡¯ve landed on this page because you¡¯re looking for an answer to ¡®How to choose
the best rooftop solar system for your home¡¯, congratulations! you¡¯ve made the right choice of equipping your home with the power source of the future. The benefits of switching to renewable energy resources for generating power cannot be emphasised enough ¨C from being an inexhaustible source of energy to reducing pollution and the impact of global warming, it is the most import-independent resource, that also keeps the cost of fossil fuels down.
As the world becomes increasingly deprived of natural or non-renewable resources such as coal, oil, natural gas, and mined uranium, it is essential that we harness the sun¡¯s abundantly available energy and convert it into electricity.Imagine, the amount of solar energy that earth receives in just one year is approximately twice as much as that extracted from all of the Earth¡¯s non-renewable resources combined! Apart from sharing this mind-boggling fact, the International Energy Agency in 2014 also projected that ¡°by 2050, solar photovoltaics and concentrated solar power would contribute about 16 and 11 percent, respectively, of the worldwide electricity consumption, and solar would be the world¡¯s largest source of electricity¡±! So, if you¡¯re looking to set up your rooftop
with a solar panel, be assured that you¡¯re stepping into the future. Apart from having benefits on a macro level, installing solar panels are becoming increasingly common for personal use due to their individual benefits. A solar powered system for your household will lower your overall expenditure on electric power. Infact, to encourage the use of renewable energy, the government also provides subsidy and pays 30% of the benchmarked installation cost for rooftop PV systems for states under general category. For special states like Uttarakhand, Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir and Lakshadweep, this goes up to 70%. You can even sell the excess electricity generated as per government tariffs.Thanks to the drastic improvement in technology over the last years, solar energy has turned into a more efficient source of clean energy, which is now available at competitive prices in the
market for more and more families to adapt. However, even after being sure about these innumerable benefits ¨C the question still remains, how do you after all, choose the best system for your household? Well, consider the following factors for making the right choice:
1. Certifications: Just like while buying an electronic device for your home, you wouldn¡¯t go for a device that is not certified or tested, make sure you follow the same example while choosing the solar panel for your home. Go for a BIS or Bureau of Indian Standards (formerly ISI or Indian Standards Institution) certified product. Setting up a rooftop solar system for your home is a substantial investment, one that will stay with you for a long time so make sure you invest in a trusted brand.
2. Manufacturer warranty: One of the most important aspects while choosing a solar system for your rooftop is manufacturer¡¯s warranty. Naturally, the best rooftop solar panel for your home would be from a reputable manufacturer with a substantial warranty on the panels (at least 25 years). This will not only make your solar system last longer but also long enough to be profitable. However, be cautious of false promises and avoid going for brands without a track record in India.
3. Inverter efficiency: A power inverter converts the DC current absorbed by solar panels to AC current which is used as electricity in your home. More the inverter efficiency, more will be the power conserved and the savings. Factor in the inverter efficiency of solar panels that you are considering as this has a direct impact on how soon the system will become profitable for you.
4. Type of panels: Consider the space available at your rooftop to choose the right type of panels. At present there are two kinds available ¨C monocrystalline and polycrystalline.While monocrystalline panels are more efficient and waste less space, they can also be a bit more expensive. Still, both are unique and the best choice would depend on the kind of space you have available and also your budget. Make sure you inquire
about both before choosing the ones for your home.
5. Cost: Cheap isn¡¯t always the best option especially when it comes to choosing solar panels. If you notice a wide difference in prices, check into other factors such as warranty periods, installations and quality of equipment. Inferior quality components can make the upfront cost to be cheaper but will end up costing you more in the long
run in terms of efficiency and reliability. While choosing a rooftop solar system for your home can be exciting, finding the best one can become confusing. Stay away from too many advertisements, trust brands who care for the
environment and make sure you pay attention to all these little details while making the switch
to solar generated electricity.